Call it what you want

Saturday, October 30, 2010

An extended civilian shore tour

Things didn't work out for me. I played my hand the only way I could reasonably play it. I'll tell you one thing right now: becoming the captain of the DOR squad wasn't one of my childhood dreams. That's just me being honest.














No one likes quitters or sunshine patriots, especially a certain chap by the name of Thomas Paine. That guy cannot possibly be one of my advocates. If he was still alive, he probably wouldn't even shake my hand but I digress.


















Shit happened and the extended civilian shore tour has commenced. It feels weird to have started a real job for the first time; we can safely say that the endless parade of 9 to 5s has begun. Gone are the housing allowances, the subsistence pay, the showing up for muster and bouncing in 5 minutes, and all of the loose, southern women just chasing khaki and gold bars.

















In are the taxes, the lack of benefits, the dingy 2nd floor office, and surprisingly, the productivity. I will readily admit that the Navy was bad for a guy like me who drinks too many beers on Friday after work. The whole business of simply showing up and doing the minimum but still getting paid what the hard-chargers were earning was bad for my head. I will concede the fact that I'm fat kid who wears a B&R piece. In short, I want more cake and I'm willing to sweat & bleed for some extra cake.













I know what some of you are saying. Who is this schmuck? He doesn't know what it means to pay the price. This kid is fucking out. And maybe you're right.

No comments:

Post a Comment