Call it what you want

Sunday, December 19, 2010

The doctor is IN

I have been severely lacking on my blog posts as of the last few months, I will do my best to pick it up while on Christmas leave. I apologize for my procrastination. Next topic.

With the end of the year come the ubiquitous best album of the year lists. To know the doctor is to know his love of music, and his accompanying disdain for those who attempt to make music into anything other than an art form. So through deductive reasoning, you may have postulated that I've never been one to put stock into end of the year lists. I will admit that there are a few websites (Dusted magazine, The Aquarium Drunkard, etc) that I do follow in order to pick up on new albums. I feel that I've done well this year with keeping my finger on the pulse of new music, but I do plan on utilizing a select few of these lists to ensure that I haven't missed any new albums that I may appreciate. For a quick name drop, I have been listening to Ty Segall-Melted and Toro y Moi- Causers of This quite a bit lately. Next topic.

I came across an interesting article earlier this morning which discussed an issue that I feel quite strongly about. Here is the link. It is an interview with well-known grammarian and self-proclaimed SNOOT Bryan Garner, in which he addresses the decline of English grammar. I feel that proper grammar is integral to one's effectiveness in any and all affairs. I often feel affronted by poor grammar, and I liked that this article was able to highlight many of the various causes of the grammatical decline we are faced with today. At the end of the article, try your hand at the SNOOT test. Next Topic.

I brought four books home for my leave period. Authors include Camus, Faulkner, Burroughs, and Hayek. Standby for topical discussions as I progress through these books. Fin.

No comments:

Post a Comment